Thursday, March 5, 2009

Herrmann's Royal Lipizzan Stallions of Austria

Today we went to the training session of the great Lipizzan horses. They train here in Myakka City, Florida for the winter and then in the summer they go on tour all over the place. It was about an hour a half from where we are staying. It was well worth the trip. They do not charge to watch but they do ask for donations to keep them going. The show lasted for over an hour and Rick got some really good video of the show.  These animals are absolutely beautiful!! These horses are born either black or dark brown and they take about 6-12 years to start turning white. It is amazing. General Patton helped save these horses during WWII. They are still a very small amount of them in the world. Here are some of the still shots I took. They will speak for themselves.100_2564 100_2567 100_2573 100_2588 100_2596 100_2600 100_2605 100_2611

2 comments:

Mrs. Monty said...

Neat pictures. Someone had told us about this training center but we have not made it over there yet. Sounds like a good thing to put on our list to do.

LaVon Baker said...

What a fun day! I'm so jealous. :-) The horses are beautiful. I remember the first horse I had was white and she lived to be 20+ years when we sold her. I think my step-dad sold her because he didn't want to see her die. Her name was Baby.